Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Pilarcitos #3 in McLaren Park


Start of the Men's Elite race.


Elite Men
Place: 20th

This last week I did a lot of strength training primarily on the left side of my body. It is notably weaker than the right and I have to address it now before things get out of hand anymore than they have. With the increased mileage and amount of racing I have done in the last 2 years recurring problems have to stop. I think I've figured out what it is and will continue to strive to fix it, although I don't know how much it's going to hamper my CX season, it might work out just fine, we'll see.

On Sat. I did a 2 hour ride out to Fairfax easy, on the CX bike and felt like crap. I mean bad, bad, bad. Scott and I stopped at the Java Hut, had some coffee and chatted with the Proman women's team who were heading out for a nice little spin to Pt. Reys. On the way home I tried to do a bit of tempo and a few sprints in an attempt to get my legs working and even on the way up to the bridge I still felt sub-par. I think all the specific workout-outs had me all out of wack and I hoped for a miracle on Sunday at this point.

I looked forward to the race on Sunday even if I went down in flames because I had committed to being there early to root on my teammates and a co-worker in the C race, help out Scott and Liz in the Acclerade booth and just try to have fun in general and revel in the race day festivities.


I did 4 laps as easy as possible on the course and then went out to Moscow St. and did 2 full sprints (the whole block uphill) to blow out the cobwebs. I think it worked for the most part as I started to feel better and I got that twitchy muscle feeling, (which is a good thing). I gathered myself together and got to the start line in good time. A second row start was mine, I stayed very focused this time and waited for the start, whistle goes and were off...

I got a decent start and slotted right in behind Jim McDonald then we run up the hill, Oi.. did it get jammed up there with the pushing and stuff, anyway single file till we get to the first steep dirt part and I followed a guy into the rough and I picked up a spot or 2. Next the uphill log, I got a fast remount but it bottlenecked bad, I rear-ended Jim with guys stalling all around and I had to dismount and run up the loamy dirt. Dam! Right before I could have had a brief respite on the downhill I had to go redline and it was a bitch. I hit the steep bumpy climb for the first time and did O.K. but all I had was the 42 X 25 and while I cruised it on the first lap I felt I was going to be lucky to not have to run it for the last 2 laps.

Well things started to settle down a bit and my dad shouted at me "16th place!" O.K. not a bad start but I knew deep down I was only going to be able to cut my losses on the day as the climbs combined with my lack of overall strength (at this point in time) and short gears were working against me. I decided to go fast where I could and conserve where I was weak. I was doing well on the barriers and remounts and the pavement was my friend. The run up big fun.

I ended up getting passed by a few guys here and there. Some I knew, some I didn't. Isaias who is a a former B like myself caught me on the bumpy climb and I waved him past me. No need to hold him up, he was riding well and it would be up to me to keep up. I then rode with Aron from Cycip for a lap or so until the final 3 to go, when Mack and I hooked up and we tried to ride together till the end and maybe bring Aron back. It was working O.K., we traded pulls and I was hoping we could have a homie sprint finish but on the last half of the last lap some guy came out of nowhere and caught us on the same bumpy climb. I guess we were sitting up a bit more than I thought. Going into the final run around the skatepark I closed up on him and knowing I was strong on the triple barrier/ remount I passed him and led into the tree section. Blocking the inside line and some sprinting in "Pinecone Alley" got me the gap I needed leading onto the pavement and I rung out the 12 to finish only 2 sec up on the chaser with Mack on his wheel.

Good course and some real racing. I really wanted to hold on to Jim but he seems to be on some good form and is riding really well. I managed a decent result and had a good time. I've improved in every race, staying on the lead lap in 2 of the 3 races so far and moving up 2 spots in the overall. My goals for the season were to not get lapped and try to break the top 15 for the overall. Constancy has always been a goal for me and as long as I have steady improvement in the upward direction I can't complain to much. I feel like I'm babbling so back to work!

Big up to Dad for the H2O and the Fusion crew for the cheers! and of course Acclerade for drinks and the grubbing pizza!

More pictures to follow...... Maybe even a dueling HR chart with Isaias ... LOL


*****************************************************************************

Just for fun a HR graph for the MCL race. HR info: 173 avg/ 183 max...


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad's been right there for you alot, awsome. You need to come over & play on the pump track in the back yard, take Daniel for some speed laps! Keep up the great riding, you only get better.

23:17  
Blogger VeloRainDog said...

way to fight out there.

happy hour tonight?

11:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home