Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Monday, Auto parts, Finals, uggh!

I had to move the car this morning for street cleaning and the battery was sounding like it was really low. Not surprising because I haven't been driving much after the radiator blew on the way to Albany a few weeks ago. I managed to put a Permatex radiator patch on it and it was holding pretty well for the most part. anyway I figured I better drive it more than 50 feet other wise it might not start at all next time around. So I took of and made it to Embarcadero and all of a sudden the tell tale steam starts coming out from under the hood. Crap! I pulled over and popped the hood and sure enough there was a crack in the radiator but in a different spot. What the hell! I managed to nurse the car home. It was about 9:30and I was supposed to be at work @ 10 but figured I would replace the dam thing now seeing's how I had the replacement in my apt. Well I though so at least.......


Forceps!!!
It took me all of 25 min or so to pull the stupid thing out and I thought sweet I'll be done around 10:30 and just be a little late for work, Ha.... I marveled at the huge crack right next to the solid patch on the old crack. I guess it was just time for the damm thing to go.



I carefully checked the original against my nice new replacement from Kragen. Well from the pic you can see they don't really look the same at all. In the past, getting parts from Kragen has always been a crap shoot. If you get it right the first time better go by a Lottery ticket.


You be the judge....
I'm pretty good at this shit but don't look right to me...


I hopped a cab and took the thing back to Kragen. The guys could not offer any advice as to why I have this funny, small radiator. I just wanted to get a replacement and get the job done ASAP. I gave up and got a refund ($146) and decided to bite the bullet and go to Honda. Hey it was nice out so I walked from 16th and Poterao to SF Honda (S. Van Ness and Market) Phew. I go to the parts counter and the guys tells me it's a $400 item! What! The parts monkey says "try McKenzie on Mariposa and 16th. SHiT! I was already over there. So I walked back and I get to the counter and again request a replacement, detailing the craziness on my ordeal. Well they have one for $129 somewhat less then Kragen, Sweet, I 'll save a few $$. The guy brings it out and yes, it's also quite large and doesn't match. He mutters something about needing a Japanese import only something.... At this point I'm a little dismayed. His suggestion, go to A&A Auto parts on S. Van Ness and 17th. Crap I was already over there!

I walk again over to the Mission and go to A&A, the guy there was really helpful but kept coming up with the same thing. He mentions that I should go to ALouis Radiator on Divisadero and get it cored. OK, I get some lunch in the Misson and head home for one last ditch effort to get a replacement. I grab the old crusty rad. and hopped Joe Muni to ALouis. I get there and the guy takes one look at it and says "1989 Honda Civc huh?" Aw Jezz I should have just came here in the first place. "Oh ya can't get those anymore, the replacement is a little bigger and the hookups on the bottom you just don't use." You have to be kiddin me... I have walked all over the frikkn city for nothing. Well almost nothing. His price is $97 ($107 w/ a new rad. cap.) I leave exhausted but happy knowing I have the right one. It makes a huge difference when the guys working there can give you the skinny on what fits what-- experience pays. Got home and dropped the bugger in, took another 20 min. Total of about an hour work time. Running around time about 6 hours........ Then I took off to school for my Econ Final

Way too much shit to deal with today. At least the thing sounds like it's running ok..... We'll see.


All shiny and new....

Lots of cold beer to sooth over the rough edges today....






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home