Monday, March 31, 2008

Wild, Wild... West.

A big weekend of racing for sure...

Saturday...I hit the
Ronde Crit riding in the Masters 1/2/3 and it was a suffer-fest. Super windy and a very high pace had me gasping for air. I hadn't done my normal "day before opener" opting for extra rest leading into the weekend and even with a solid 45 min warm up day of, I was blown out the back 1/2 way into the race. This was not how I wanted to have it go down for my first crit of the season. On the other hand it seemed a perfect tune-up for the mtb race the next day and besides, more than half of the field got blown out as well-- not a slow race at all.

Sunday--I drove down to Monterey with plenty of time to dilly-dally around and be social before hand. While I was hanging talking to Rod, I noticed that a Sport and Spine rider had blown off his front tire not far from where the start finish is. I had time, so I ran over to see if I could help lend a hand and get him back into the race. I helped him pop a tube in his tire etc... and he was back in it. Ahh warm fuzzy feeling, it seemed like a good way to start the day....

I did a full lap at an easy pace and put the new course together in my head. The layout was similar but different in a few important ways. The looong 1/4 mile drag strip was cut in half (yes!) and a long flat/ downhill section was added that was fun. The climbs were reconfigured and while most were easier where placed, the
CCCX boys threw in a doosy with the two biggest climbs linked together ouch. That smarts... there were also a couple new deep sandy parts that were fun. Sand not a problem surfing with the 29er!

Anyway, we lined up with the Pro/ Semi-Pro men. I got a good start and managed to latch onto a fast moving group once on the dirt and was happy to be hanging on. I had the lead for the SS's at this point but closing down on the 1st lap was Mark, who had been chasing, bridged to my group. Five of us ended up riding a very fast dirt crit for the next 2 laps. I felt great and honestly was stoked to be where I was and going as quick as we were. Immediately I knew I was poised to have a fantastic race. Nothing hurt and my breathing was steady. It looked like it was going to come down to the last lap for the race between Mark, who won round #3, and myself.

Sure enough, while starting the final lap our group of 5 broke apart, some behind and some up front. Mark extended his advantage on the climbs to where he was no longer in sight. With a half a lap to go I focused on getting over the double climb (almost cramped) and then TT it to the finish and at this point, racing for time.

I had a great race. The course was the longest yet, we did 5 laps of 10 km/ 50km total. My avg speed was high at 24.7 kph. I finished 2nd and limited my time loss (1:22) to Mark who put just over
4 minutes into me last round. Cesar who won the first 2 and came in second last round, had a rough day and I am expecting him to come back strong and motivated for round #5 next week. It looks as it will be a battle down to end for the series overall between the 3-4 of us. Miles who rode well for rnds 1/2 didn't show for the last 2 rounds. While not out of the hunt, he has slipped in the overall and might need some wins to climb back into the top 3. It's going to be a good show.

No pics yet, I'll post some if they crop up.....

Please visit the Fisher site via the Twenty-9 and other logo's from my blog.



Post a Comment

<< Home